Sunday dinner this week was chicken tetrazzini. This is a Giada De Laurentis recipe that you can find from the link above.
The recipe calls for mushrooms. My kids HATE mushrooms and I don’t want to hear them complain. I love mushrooms and would definitely miss them if I left them out. Fortunately, this is easily avoided by cooking this dish in two batches – one with the mushrooms and one without.
Here are the ingredients:
9 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken ( I used 1lb breasts and 1lb thighs )
2 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
1 lb sliced white mushrooms
1 large onion , chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 cup white cooking wine
1/3 cup flour
4 cups whole milk, room temp
1 cup heavy cream, room temp
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 box linguine
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup Italian style bread crumbs
I like to do all the chopping, grating, slicing etc… that needs to be done before starting so once I start cooking I don’t have to stop.
Prepare the 13 X 9 baking dish by spreading 1 Tbs. of butter all over. (use two smaller dishes if going to do 1/2 with mushrooms and 1/2 without)
Preheat oven to 450°
- Melt 1 Tbs of each butter and oil in large pan. Season chicken with salt and lightly brown chicken on each side (enough so it is just cooked through). remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add another Tbs of each butter and oil to pan. Add mushrooms and saute over medium heat until lightly golden and most liquid evaporates. (Remove mushrooms and set aside if you are planning to only add them to 1/2.)
- Add onion, garlic and thyme. Saute until onion is translucent. Add wine and continue to cook until it evaporates. Transfer to large mixing bowl.
- Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces and add to bowl.
- Melt 3 more Tbs. of butter in the same pan. Add flour and whisk continuously for 2 minutes. Add milk, cream, chicken stock, and nutmeg. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly. Whisk often.
- Cook linguine according to directions on box. Drain and add to the bowl with the chicken and onion mixture. Add peas, parsley and sauce. Toss until all is blended together evenly.
- Dump into baking dish (or dishes). If you are going to do 1 /2 with mushrooms and 1/2 without, dump 1/2 into one dish, add the mushrooms to the bowl, toss to evenly distribute, then dump that into second dish.
- Mix the bread crumbs and cheese together and sprinkle over top.
- Bake 25 minutes. Should be golden brown on top.